Wednesday, July 13, 2011

two jobs

I believe there are two main jobs that a mom has. They are:
1. Protect our children
2. Teach our children to love one another

Which of these two jobs is more important? Are they equal?
I have recently finished a book called "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" by Jamie Ford. The anti protagonist is Henry Lee's father. The setting of the story takes place in early 1940 WWII in China and Japan town, Seattle, WA. The father is a Chinese nationalist and very fearful of people mistaking his son to be Japanese. He requires Henry to wear a pin that says "I am Chinese" and sends him to a school with white children. He also forbids him to associate with the Japanese. This boy disobeys his father and befriends a Japanese girl named Keiko Okabe. At one point in the story Henry even hides Keiko's family heirlooms in his house. A severe crime. He father finds out and disowns his son.
In the book this father is portrayed as a unloving, heartless man. But is he really? I believe he was a scared and over protective parent who wanted to protect his son. Many Americans, at this time, mistook Chinese for Japanese. Associating with them could bring harm to his son and their family.
Should we praise Henry for disobeying his father? Was his father trying to protect Henry or was he merely unkind and intolerant? Perhaps he could be viewed as simply being focused on his family's safety. Does this justify his behavior?

I don't face this particular challenge but still have a strong desire to protect my children from situations I perceive as dangerous. What about the woman/man who I pass in the grocery store who looks at my child and gives me the creeps? The stranger who comes to my door selling something? The neighbor across the street who has a drinking problem? Don't I also send the message, "Stay away, stay far away. I am protecting you?" So, is Henry's father really a heartless, unloving man? Are we, if we act like Henry's father?

No comments:

Post a Comment