Sunday, October 3, 2010

disassemble for a new perspective

This was suppose to post on the 1st but didn't. Sorry

Attention parents- If you ever in your life imagined how a Thomas the Tank Engine works, or a race car, or really any toy that has screws I am your woman. My son has reverted back to the phase of taking everything apart. Yes, I did say revert back, which means he has done this before. ACKKKKK!!! Now this is what happens.

1. He finds a screw driver.

2. Disassembles the helpless victim.

3. Attempts to put it back together. Sometimes it does and sometime it doesn't.

4. Brings me the pieces to put it back together. Umm... Why in the world would I know how to put that back together.

5. We try to figure it out and sometimes we do.

6. Many times we don't because the pieces are scattered - so we look for the pieces. Sometimes we look for a really really long time.

7. When the pieces are just not findable I console my son because he has just lost a friend and failed.

To be the parent I want to be I need to learn to think positive.
My child is learning.........
- eye hand coordination
- how things work
- learning how to be a mechanic
- shape placement
- consequences
- figuring out about the world around him instead of just giving up and thinking oh I cant do this so I wont.

So, what I should be doing is taking lessons from him. When I want to know how something works, whether it be a toy, or a personal dilemma or a challenge that we have no idea how to overcome. Just get out my screwdriver and take it apart. Spread all the pieces around the house. Think about it in a different perspective. Then learn that I might have to ask someone to help me put the pieces back together. And know that sometimes they wont. That "Thomas the Tank Engine" just might not be fixable.

No comments:

Post a Comment